Monday, June 21, 2004

So I've been a little worried about color schemes in the new house. Over the last several years we did a little redecorating in the current house, and for the living room chose a medium gray carpet, very light gray walls, and then a sofa in a dark maroon and an upholstered chair in a sort of mauve or light dusty rose. The sofa is already in need of reupholstering, though, and my mother is a fantastic seamstress and I think could do a slipcovers for me.

But in addition to the upholstered furniture is all my stuff. It's not a lot of stuff, but then I don't like having a lot of stuff, just a few pieces I really like. One of my ceramic vases is cream-colored, so that's not a problem. But the other things are maroon and mauve.

And the walls in the living at the new house are a sort of antique gold. So now I'm wondering if the maroon and mauve will work with the walls. (The carpeting is a golden brown.)

I went to Behr's website, where they have a neat little color scheme generator, picked out an approximation of the gold on the walls, designated it the main color, and waited to see if maroon and dusty rose came up as an accent color. They have 8 suggested color schemes, and none of them included both maroon and rose, although two of them had a deep maroon-type color I liked.

So I decided to try the antique gold as an accent color, and waited to see what came up. Miraculously, there was a scheme with a type of dark maroon and a type of light dusty rose or mauve. (Sort of.) Plus, another suggestion included my other favorite color, slate blue. In fact, two variations of each of the two color schemes.

What's neat is that I had already thought of the slate blue. And the more I think about it, the more I prefer the blue and gold combination to the maroon and gold (particularly with the dusty rose, which I'm really hesitant about). Unfortunately I'd have to get rid of my maroon vases (the dusty rose items would be fine in the dining room, I think, which has dark reddish or maroon walls).

This will all wait until my mother visits, since she does the sewing and helps me choose fabrics. But it's something to think about.