Sunday, September 05, 2004

Well, the big move at work is out of stage one (the move itself) and into stage two (getting ready to open).

The move was really quite interesting. I don't think I can call it fun. And I don't think I'd want to do it again (although I'd be a whole lot better at it if I did). But it was an interesting experience to do once. Something like that can't really go perfectly, but I'd have to say that overall it didn't even go really well. That was partly due to problems beyond anyone's control (elevator problems, rain when they wanted to move the historical collecion, shelving that wasn't in when it was supposed to be -- well, that probaby was someone's fault ), partly due to poor planning (which have to be attributed to us, but it wasn't entirely our fault that we didn't know the best way to tell the movers what needed to be moved and in what order), and partly due to the head guy's over-optimistic estimates.

So, basically, the movers got everything out of the old building and into the new building. They said they would shelf-read (meaning they'd make sure everything was on the shelves in the right order), but that was not anywhere near being possible. Perhaps in a library where everything was in the right order to begin with, in the old building, that would be possible. But not where collections are being merged. That means we've been putting things in order, which is highly physical labor. Additionally, we're removing thousands of magazines from hundreds of cardboard boxes and putting them into hundreds of plastic boxes. Also physical labor. I started developing tendonitis in both thumbs the day before the movers arrived and it gets worse every day.

I'm not doing much around the house these days, although I'm keeping up with the cleaning to some extent. Still have lots of things to put away. And the basement storage is not how I want it to be. And nothing has been planted outside.